Primary Intraosseous Schwannoma
Vol 3 | Issue 2 | Sep-Dec 2017 | Page 14-15| Asawari Ambekar, Chitralekha Soman.
Authors: Asawari Ambekar , Chitralekha Soman .
 Department of Histopathology, Mumbai Reference Laboratory, SRL Limited, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Asawari Ambekar,
Reserve Bank of India Soc number 2 B 5 Gavand Path Thane West 400602
Schwannomas are benign tumors arising from the peripheral nerve sheath. Neurogenic tumors of bone are extremely uncommon and they compose less than 1% of all benign tumors . We present a case of intraosseous schwannoma in a 15 year old girl who presented with pain and pathological fracture of tibia. The radiology revealed an expansile and lytic lesion in the diaphysis. Histopathology confirmed the diagnosis of intraosseous schwannoma. The tumor cells were immunoreactive for S100protein. We present this case as tibial schwannoma is extremely rare and its diaphyseal location in the bone is virtually unknown.
Keywords: Schwannoma, tibia, diaphysis
1. Mark JM, Natalie C., Donald K.Schwannoma: A case report.The Foot and Ankle Online Journal 2009
2. Rosai, J., Ackerman, L. V. 1. &Rosai, J. (2004). Rosai and Ackerman’s surgical pathology (9th ed.). St. Louis, Mo. : London: Mosby
3. Fletcher, CDM. Bridge, JA. Hogendoorn, P., Mertens, F.WHO Classification of Tumours of Soft Tissue and Bone. Fourth Edition.2002
4. Ryan MI, Kevin BJ, Nathan L, Joseph AB.Intraosseous neurilemmoma involving the distal tibia and fibula: A case report.The Iowa Orthopaedic Journal.
5. K. Krishnan Unni Carrie Y. Inwards.Dahlin’s Bone Tumors, 6e.GENERAL ASPECTS AND DATA ON 10,165 CASES.
6. Chelsea P,Hamad G, Shweta B. Vikram Dogra.Schwannoma of the Tibial Nerve.Journal of Diagnostic Medical Sonography.2010
7. Manasa AM. Intraosseous Schwannoma of the Maxilla Mimicking a Periapical Lesion: A Diagnostic Challenge. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2015.
8. Kaihu Li et al.Giant intraosseous Schwannoma of the calcaneusInt J ClinExp Med 2016.
9. S.A. Lacerda et al.Intraosseous Schwannoma of Mandibular Symphysis: Case Report.Braz Dent J 2006.
10. Suzuki et al.Association between intraosseous schwannoma occurrence and the position of the intraosseous nutrient vessel: A case report.ONCOLOGY LETTERS.2016
|How to Cite this article: Ambekar A, Soman C. Primary Intraosseous Schwannoma. Journal of Bone and Soft Tissue Tumors Sep-Dec 2017;3(2): 14-15.|