Sternal Mass with Respiratory Compromise in a 10-year-old Child
Case Report | Volume 5 | Issue 2 | JBST May – August 2019 | Page 2-3| Ranjit K Sahu, Alok K Sharma, Surendra Patel, Prakash Kala, Amit Goyal, Sourabha K Patro. DOI: 10.13107/jbst.2019.v05i02.422
Author: Ranjit K Sahu, Alok K Sharma, Surendra Patel, Prakash Kala, Amit Goyal, Sourabha K Patro
Department of Plastic Surgery, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India,
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India,
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Sourabha Kumar Patro,
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Jodhpur – 342 005, Rajasthan, India.
Context: Enlarging sternal masses are critical to manage due to proximity of various vital structures nearby. Association of respiratory compromise or vascular compression still worsens the issue. We here present a case of multiple enchondromas primarily affecting the ribs and upper part of sternum and presented as a swelling in upper chest and lower neck with a history of compressive respiratory compromise. The child was later taken for shaving off of the lesion for relieving the respiratory compromise. Absence of the swelling was a definite cosmetic outcome for the child and the parents; however, relieve of respiratory compromise was a worthy addressed need.
Keywords: Enchondroma, multiple enchondroma, Ollier’s disease, giant sternal mass, sternal mass with respiratory compromise.
1. Demetriou GA, Marcou M, Demetriou A, Kyriakides C. A fast growing sternal mass. BMJ case Rep 2013;2013:bcr2013008673.
2. Sunny G, Hoisala VR, Cicilet S, Sadashiva S. Multiple enchondromatosis: Olliers disease-a case report. J Clin Diagn Res 2016;10:1-2.
3. Pansuriya TC, Kroon HM, Bovee JV. Enchondromatosis: Insights on the different subtypes. Int J Clin Exp Pathol 2010;3:557-69.
4. Wee HE, Akbar FA, Rajapaksha K, Aneez DB. Anterior chest wall resection and reconstruction for locally advanced breast cancer. Multimed Man Cardiothorac Surg. 2015 Sep 11;287(6)
5. Chen C, Huang X, Chen M, Yu F, Yin B, Yuan Y. Surgical management of a giant sternal chondromyxoid fibroma: a case report. Journal of cardiothoracic surgery. 2015 Dec;10(1):178.
|How to Cite this article: Sahu R K, Sharma A K, Patel S, Kala P, Goyal A, Patro S K. Sternal Mass with Respiratory Compromise in a 10-year-old Child. Journal of Bone and Soft Tissue Tumors May-August 2019;5(2): 2-3.|