Vol 5 | Issue 1 | Jan-April 2019 | page: 25-27 | Monish Malhotra, Sandeep Vijayan, Sourab Shetty.
Authors: Monish Malhotra , Sandeep Vijayan , Sourab Shetty .
 Department of Orthopaedics, Pandit Bhagwat Dayal Sharma PGIMS, Rohtak, Haryana, India,
 Department of Orthopaedics, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal, Karnataka, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Monish Malhotra,
Department of Orthopaedics, Pandit Bhagwat Dayal Sharma PGIMS, Rohtak – 124001, Haryana, India.
Introduction: Chondroblastoma is a benign tumor characteristically seen in the epiphyseal region of long bones. Its occurrence in the tarsal bones is extremely rare.
Case Report: We report the case of a 17-year-old girl with chondroblastoma mimicking an aneurysmal bone cyst in the naviculum. Along with the primary enbloc excision of the naviculum, a tricortical iliac crest bone graft was placed in the gap to prevent collapse of the medial longitudinal arch.
Conclusion: Chondroblastoma in uncommon sites can present with atypical features and cause dilemma in diagnosis and thereby management.
Keywords: Chondroblastoma, Bone grafting, Aneurysmal bone cyst, Tarsal bones, Naviculum.
1. Suneja R, Grimer RJ, Belthur M, Jeys L, Carter SR, Tillman RM, et al. Chondroblastoma of bone: Long-term results and functional outcome after intralesional curettage. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2005;87:974-8.
2. Li XN, Peng ZG, Zhao JP, Zhang ZK. Chondroblastoma of the navicular bone. Iran J Radiol 2014;11:e10848.
3. Fang Z, Chen M. Chondroblastoma associated with aneurysmal cyst of the navicular bone: A case report. World J Surg Oncol 2013;11:50.
4. Springfield DS, Capanna R, Gherlinzoni F, Picci P, Campanacci M. Chondroblastoma. A review of seventy cases. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1985;67:748-55.
5. McLeod RA, Beabout JW. The roentgenographic features of chondroblastoma. Am J Roentgenol Radium Ther Nucl Med 1973;118:464-71.
6. Atalar H, Basarir K, Yildiz Y, Erekul S, Saglik Y. Management of chondroblastoma: Retrospective review of 28 patients. J Orthop Sci 2007;12:334-40.
7. Huvos AG, Marcove RC. Chondroblastoma of bone. A critical review. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1973;95:300-12.
|How to Cite this article: Malhotra M, Vijayan S, Shetty S. Chondroblastoma of theNaviculum: A Diagnostic Dilemma. Journal of Bone and Soft Tissue Tumors Jan-Apr 2019;5(1): 25-27.|