Cases Series | Volume 7 | Issue 1 | JBST January – April 2021 | Page 12-15 | Sivakumar Raju, Prahalad Kumar Singhi, M. Chidambaram, V. Somashekar. DOI: 10.13107/jbst.2021.v0701.43
Author: Sivakumar Raju, Prahalad Kumar Singhi, M. Chidambaram, V. Somashekar
Department of Orthopaedic, Preethi Hospitals Pvt. Ltd., 50 Melur Main Road, Uthangudi, Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India.
Address of Correspondence
Dr. Prahalad Kumar Singhi,
Consultant Arthroscopy and Trauma Surgeon, Preethi Hospitals Pvt. Ltd., Madurai – 625 107, Tamil Nadu, India.
Introduction: Campanacci Grade III giant cell tumor of distal radius is an uncommon condition with limited treatments options and ulnar translocation is one.
Materials and Methods: We retrospectively analyzed five cases of Campanacci Grade III tumor in which three were recurrent cases, four female and one male all operated under regional anesthesia (supraclavicular brachial plexus block) with en bloc resection and reconstruction using ulnar translocation with fusion only with proximal carpal row from 2012 to 2018 at our institute. The mean length of tumor resected was 6.74 cm and average follow-up of 60 months. Average union time at radioulnar junction was 4–5 months and ulnocarpal joint was 3–4 months.
Results: Functional outcome was assessed using musculoskeletal tumor society scoring system, 80% had excellent and good outcome, and one patient had extensive recurrence and ended up in below-elbow amputation.
Conclusion: Ulnar translocation with partial wrist arthrodesis is a simple, valid, option with acceptable appearance of forearm, useful wrist function, no donor site morbidity nor need for a microvascular procedure, and no need to achieve complete wrist arthrodesis as compared to other options for reconstruction.
Keywords: Distal radius giant cell tumor, Campanacci Grade III tumor, modified ulnar translocation, partial wrist arthrodesis.
1. Campanacci M, Baldini N, Boriani S, Sudanese A. Giant-cell tumor of bone. JBone Joint Surg [Am] 1987;69-A:106-14.
2. Vander Griend RA, Funderburk CH. The treatment of giant-cell tumors of the distal part of the radius. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1993;75-A:899-908.
3. Sheth DS, Healey JH, Sobel M, Lane JM, Marcove RC. Giant cell tumor of the distal radius. J Hand Surg [Am] 1995;20:432-40.
4. Khan MT, Gray JM, Carter SR, Grimer RJ, Tillman RM. Management of the giant-cell tumours of the distal radius. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2004;86:18-24.
5. Harness NG, Mankin HJ. Giant-cell tumor of the distal forearm. J Hand Surg Am. 2004; 29(2):188-193.Cheng CY, Shih HN, Hsu KY, Hsu RW. Treatment of giant cell tumor of the distal radius.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2001; (383):221-228.
6. Gitelis S, Mallin BA, Piasecki P, Turner F. Intralesional excision compared with en bloc resection for giant-cell tumors of bone. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1993; 75(11):1648-1655.
7. O’Donnell RJ, Springfield DS, Motwani HK, Ready JE, Gebhardt MC, Mankin HJ. Recurrence of giant-cell tumors of the long bones after curettage and packing with cement. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1994: 76(12):1827-1833.
8. Kocher MS, Gebhardt MC, Mankin HJ. Reconstruction of the distal aspect of the radius with use of an osteoarticular allograft after excision of a skeletal tumor. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1998; 80(3):407-419.
9. Szabo RM, Anderson KA, Chen JL. Functional outcome of en bloc excision and osteoarticular allograft replacement with the Sauve-Kapandji procedure for Campanacci grade 3 giant-cell tumor of the distal radius. J Hand Surg Am. 2006; 31(8):1340-1348.
10. Lalla RN, Bhupathi SC. Treatment of giant cell tumor of the distal radius by ulnar translocation. A case report and review of the literature. Orthopedics. 1987; 10(5):735-739.
11. Seradge H. Distal ulnar translocation in the treatment of giant-cell tumors of the distal end of the radius. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1982; 64(1):67-73.
12. Bhan S, Biyani A. Ulnar translocation after excision of giant cell tumour of distal radius. J Hand Surg Br. 1990; 15(4):496-500.
13. Ono H, Yajima H, Mizumoto S, et al. Vascularized fibular graft for reconstruction of the wrist after excision of giant cell tumor. Plast Reconstr Surg 1997;99:1086-93.
14. Bhagat S, Bansal M, Jandhyala R, et al. Wide excision and ulno-carpal arthrodesis for primary aggressive and recurrent giant cell tumours. Int Orthop 2008;32:741-5.
15. Natarajan MV, Chandra Bose J, Viswanath J, Balasubramanian N, Sameer M. Custom prosthetic placement for distal radial tumours. Int Orthop 2009;33:1081-4.
16. Seradge H. Distal ulnar translocation in the treatment of giant-cell tumors of the distal end of the radius. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 1982;64-A:67-73.
17. Chalidis BE, Dimitriou CG. Modified ulnar translocation technique for the reconstruction of giant cell tumour of the distal radius. Orthopedics 2008;31:608.
18. Enneking WF, Dunham W, Gebhardt MC, Malawar M, Pritchard DJ. A system for the functional evaluation of reconstructive procedures after surgical treatment of tumors of the musculoskeletal system. Clin Orthop 1993;286:241-6.
19. Asavamongkolkul A, Waikakul S, Phimolsarnti R, Kiatisevi P. Functional outcome following excision of a tumour and reconstruction of the distal radius. Int Orthop 2009;33:203
20. SK Saraf, SC Goel, Complications of resection and reconstruction in giant cell tumour of distal end of radius – An analysis, IJO, October 2005, Volume 39: Number 4: P.206-211
21. WILSON, P. D., and LANCE, E. M.: Surgical Reconstruction of the Skeleton following Segmental Resection for Bone Tumors. J. Bone and Joint Surg., 47-A: 1629-1656, Dee. 1965
22. A.Puri, Ulnar translocation after excision of a Campanacci grade III giant cell tumour of the distal radius, JBJS (br) 2010; 92-B-875-9
23. Turcotte RE, Wunder JS, Isler MH, et al. Giant cell tumor of long bone: a Canadian Sarcoma Group study. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2002; (397):248-258.
24. Zou C, Lin T, Wang B, et al. Managements of giant cell tumor within the distal radius: A retrospective study of 58 cases from a single center. J Bone Oncol. 2018;14:100211. Published 2018 Dec 14. doi:10.1016/j.jbo.2018.100211.
|How to Cite this article: Raju S, Singhi PK, Chidambaram M, Somashekar V | Distal Ulnar Translocation with Partial Wrist Arthrodesis for Grade III Campanacci Giant Cell Tumors of the Distal Radius – A Case Series | Journal of Bone and Soft Tissue Tumors | Jan-Apr 2021; 7(1): 12-15.|